Honda Africa Twin ADV SPORTS
The Africa Twin Adventure Sports’ comprehensive abilities start with its engine, which has to perform in off-road situations as well as on-road, over long-range tours, short commutes and all points in between. As such, it provides an optimum balance between power, torque, mass and physical dimension.
The four-valve 998cc parallel twin Unicam unit’s tractable and usable all-day performance belies its extremely compact dimensions. They are the result of clever packaging touches such as housing the water pump within the clutch casing, and using the engine’s balancer shafts to also drive water and oil pumps. As a result, longitudinally, it is the same length as Honda’s popular 500cc engine, and its short height contributes to the Africa Twin Adventure Sport’s 270mm of ground clearance.
• Intake design and exhaust improve mid-range response;
• Lithium-ion battery saves 2.3kg and enhances durability;
• Power is smooth and consistent, with linear torque delivery;
• Assist/slipper clutch helps upshifts and downshifts;
• Super-fast, seamless gear changes in Manual Transmission (MT) or Automatic D mode;
• S mode (with 3 levels) revs higher and downshifts sooner, for aggressive riding;
• G switch improves rear wheel traction when off-road;
• Emergency Stop Signal function for rear indicators;
• 3 rider modes to tailor engine character and traction;
• Riding modes are comprised of different levels of Power (P), Engine Braking (EB) and Honda Selectable Torque Control (HSTC);
• HSTC has 7 levels and OFF;